Welcome! Welcome!!
























It's almost meteorlogical spring.


Spring!! What a fabulous word!

I was out snooping around the yard the other morning before work "cuddling the flowers", as my husband says. I think he means coddling, but I digress. Seeing the plants peeking out of the earth I thought to myself about the start of growing season. I was going to name this blog Growing Season but it seems that title might already be taken. So it dawned on me, Growing Susan sounds very similar. And my given name is Susan and this all sounds just too clever and witty and how could I not call this Growin' Susan?? OK. So I guess you had to be there. Sometimes when my genius strikes it doesn't translate so well :) but that's OK. I'm on board with it! So, let the ride begin and I will endeavor to chronicle my growing season and in the process grow a bit myself. Grow, Susie, grow!! Hmmm maybe, "You Grow Girl!" ? Nah.















Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Work work work

Lawd, lawd!   I'm tired!!  Put the hardware cloth around the trees. Cleaned out the vines leaves around the trees and added trees rings.  Edged the flowerbed, transplanted Bugleweed, Violets and Daylilies, added edging to the flowerbed, and planted Touch-me-Nots.   God bless G!  He finished the mowing that I started yesterday.

I found some amazing edging at Home depot.  It's molded concrete painted to look like stones.  The end result is that it looks like you have rocks edging your flowerbeds.  I'm lovin' it.  Granny always had her beds outlined with rocks.  She gathered the rocks with Daddy from a creekbed.  There were alot, too.  I have no idea how they got all those rocks to the house and out in the beds.  She was a garden dynamo right up to the end.  She would grab her wheelbarrow and walk down to the "mulch pile" in the woods,  get her mulch and take it wherever she needed it.  She spent most of every day doing something in the garden.  Here's to the memory of Minnie.   Cheers, Granny!!

Since it's Dogwood season  I have to tell the story of how she saved a Dogwood sapling.
There was a Dogwood sapling that had come up on its' own in front of our porch.  Granny was doing something in the flowerbed and she accidentally cut off the sapling.  She went into overdrive!!  She knew that my mom loved Dogwoods and she wanted to save it.  I remember her fussing and worrying that Dorothy ( mom ) would be upset  as she worked at saving the tree.   She used first aid tape and popsicle sticks to put the tree back together.  The tree eventually grew taller than the porch.  Grandma died before the tree ever bloomed.  The spring after she passed away there was one single white bloom on the tree. After that season it was always covered in blooms.   I remember Mama crying over that single blossom because Granny never saw the Dogwood in bloom. She believed that the single bloom was a sign from Granny.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your story! Plus, I plan to check out the rocks at Home Depot. Thanks so much for your comment. I have just become a follower and hope you will consider same. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete