Welcome! Welcome!!
























It's almost meteorlogical spring.


Spring!! What a fabulous word!

I was out snooping around the yard the other morning before work "cuddling the flowers", as my husband says. I think he means coddling, but I digress. Seeing the plants peeking out of the earth I thought to myself about the start of growing season. I was going to name this blog Growing Season but it seems that title might already be taken. So it dawned on me, Growing Susan sounds very similar. And my given name is Susan and this all sounds just too clever and witty and how could I not call this Growin' Susan?? OK. So I guess you had to be there. Sometimes when my genius strikes it doesn't translate so well :) but that's OK. I'm on board with it! So, let the ride begin and I will endeavor to chronicle my growing season and in the process grow a bit myself. Grow, Susie, grow!! Hmmm maybe, "You Grow Girl!" ? Nah.















Saturday, April 16, 2011

I'm singin' in the rain :)

YAHOOWA!!!  It has been raining all morning~~and probably most of overnight~~and there are severe weather warnings poping up like toast from a toaster.   But I felt the need to scale the hill and have a peep at the Dogwood and Redbud. You'll recall they were chewed off some weeks ago by marauding beavers. G's mom kept insisting that they might make a comeback.  I had left the 6" stumps standing in the hopes that they might but I was doubtful.   I'll be a monkey's uncle!!   I need to buy some hardware cloth  [ HAPPY DANCE!!!]  both trees have little teeny tiny sprouts on the side!!   Yippee!!  Hardware cloth is used to create a physical barrier to keep the beavers at bay in the future.

For the first time since we've lived here, going on 20 years, I completely weeded and mulched along the fenceline earlier this week.  I am so weary of the city weedwhacking my rosebushes I thought maybe if I keep the grass and weeds completely cleaned up they will cut me some slack.   Leave the roses, guys!  People LIKE my roses.  They comment positively on my roses as they use the walkway to get to the creek.  Yay roses   :)  The fenceline belongs to the city.  They send a crew of workers out twice a season to weed whack along the fence.  Curiously, their weed whacker always winds up at the top of the fence "pruning" my roses. Let there be an 11th Commandement:  Thou shalt not weed whack the rosebushes!!

Oh.  I guess my Pansies are now groundhog poop.  I had a pot of the prettiest purple Pansies.  As I left for work the other morning I noticed that something had chewed off every single bloom.  :(   Somedays it just doesn't pay to break out the shovel and hoe   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment