Welcome! Welcome!!
























It's almost meteorlogical spring.


Spring!! What a fabulous word!

I was out snooping around the yard the other morning before work "cuddling the flowers", as my husband says. I think he means coddling, but I digress. Seeing the plants peeking out of the earth I thought to myself about the start of growing season. I was going to name this blog Growing Season but it seems that title might already be taken. So it dawned on me, Growing Susan sounds very similar. And my given name is Susan and this all sounds just too clever and witty and how could I not call this Growin' Susan?? OK. So I guess you had to be there. Sometimes when my genius strikes it doesn't translate so well :) but that's OK. I'm on board with it! So, let the ride begin and I will endeavor to chronicle my growing season and in the process grow a bit myself. Grow, Susie, grow!! Hmmm maybe, "You Grow Girl!" ? Nah.















Monday, February 28, 2011

We're not in Kansas Anymore!

Whoo-wee!  How the weather can turn on a dime this time of year.
This morning as I left for work it was a mild sunny almost springtime sort of morning.
The temps reached a high of 71 according to the weather report.
By noontime the sky was a funny dark color and there were tornado warnings.
The sky opened up and we had what you might call a tropical rainfall.
Granny would have called it a gully washer.  She would look outside at the sky and fret that there was, "going to come a gully washer".  I never understood what exactly that meant as a kid. Other than it was going to rain.
 
I recall during one gully washer lightning struck one of our favorite trees out back.  I don't know what wariety of tree it was.  All I remember is that it had to be 10 stories high if it was an inch and Ivy rambled up the trunk.  I remember the deafening clap when it was struck.  I remember Granny trying to calm the nerves of  a little girl who was terrified at the commotion.  And I remember Granny mourning its' loss.  I guess that's where I get it from.  At an early age I learned that plants are important and  people work hard to make those flowers look good and, "For Pete's sake, stay out of my rosebed!".    I hear ya'.
 
And so before I forget: about that Chrysler Imperial.  As I know it, it is a gorgeous velvety deep red rose.  Granny gifted one of her friends with a Chrysler Imperial rose.  At some later point she called her friend and somewhere in the midst of their chat asked, "How is that Chrysler Imperial that I gave you?"    There came an awkward silence.  Her friend replied, "Minnie, you never gave me a car."     Granny always laughed when telling that story.
 
 
G's cellphone died today.  ACK!  I love Bill the Cat and his ACK!.  What a classic. But back to the matter at hand, remember back in the day when cellphones were not an accessory?   Holy schnikeys you had to wait til you got home or to a payphone to call somebody.  And nobody called you while you were tootling down the highway or sitting at the Bob's Big Boy having dinner.  Hmmm   and I lived to tell.  A-mazin', ain't it? Sometimes being unplugged has its' advantages.  You can actually hear yourself think.  I think that scares some folks, though.  Lawd, I feel like Lucy in Peanuts with her, "The Doctor is In" sign.
 
Ah well.  I hear the windchimes outside.  Including the big black cowbell chime.  That means it it REALLY windy.  Another day draws to a close. I'm one day closer to retiring.  And the choir said: YEE-HAW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment