Welcome! Welcome!!
























It's almost meteorlogical spring.


Spring!! What a fabulous word!

I was out snooping around the yard the other morning before work "cuddling the flowers", as my husband says. I think he means coddling, but I digress. Seeing the plants peeking out of the earth I thought to myself about the start of growing season. I was going to name this blog Growing Season but it seems that title might already be taken. So it dawned on me, Growing Susan sounds very similar. And my given name is Susan and this all sounds just too clever and witty and how could I not call this Growin' Susan?? OK. So I guess you had to be there. Sometimes when my genius strikes it doesn't translate so well :) but that's OK. I'm on board with it! So, let the ride begin and I will endeavor to chronicle my growing season and in the process grow a bit myself. Grow, Susie, grow!! Hmmm maybe, "You Grow Girl!" ? Nah.















Sunday, February 27, 2011

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood!!

It is that exhilarating, yet confusing, time of year.  I looked at the thermometer this morning and it was 36 degrees.  I started on watering the houseplants and dustmopping the kitchen.  I stepped outside to shake off the mop and it was glorious!   The temperature had jumped to nearly 50 degrees and it is still climbing.  Time to get outdoors!

While watering the houseplants I found that my Apple Blossom Amaryllis has burst into bloom. It is the most beautiful salmon color.  My potato vine is jumping up like Jack and the Beanstalk. The Paperwhites are still in full bloom, too.  I love their fragrance!  I know their scent is divisive, you either love it or hate it.  I'm a Paperwhite lover and I always have a pot to help me through the wintertime.

Looking over the flowerbed out front I found that the Daffodils are pressing themselves up and out of the earth.  There is one small clump of Queen Anne's Lace that has greened up.  I have several clumps of Bachelor's Buttons that have survived the winter.  AMAZING! little plants.  Last season was the first time I had grown them.  A neighbor, Pat, approached me while I was cleaning out the front flowerbed and gifted me with Bachelor's Buttons seeds.  I sprinkled them in the flowerbed and they took off.  I am so looking forward to their little blue blooms this spring.  The Ditch Lilies are up!!  I so love those flowers.  They bloom only for a short time in June and I am in heaven while they do.  The blooms are there only for one day each but what beauty they offer!  They were a gift from my mother-in-law when she was moving from her house in Springfield to the house where she lives now, about a mile from us.  She also gifted me with Periwinkle, a Lilac shrub and several Peonies.  The Peonies!!   I cannot wait until it is time for them.  They smell so good!!  I have a Monsieur Jules Elie that I purchased several years ago.  I don't know what variety of the Peonies that Mom gave me.  They look the same as Monsieur, though.

I hope to get at least one of my numerous Butterfly Bushes pruned back later today.
I love springtime.   :)


Call it a Bachelor's Button or a Cornflower.  Either way it's bee-u-tee-ful!

No comments:

Post a Comment